Wednesday, May 11, 2011

recipe: banana cupcakes

For Aiden's birthday party we had a slight monkey theme so I wanted to find a recipe for banana cupcakes [gotta carry the theme through you know, =)] I did some random internet searches and then remembered my favorite site, Brown Eyed Baker, and hoped she had one. I was not disappointed and her recipe looked better than the others I had found. 
The batter is the best I have tasted; I failed at making these for the party though. The first 12 I over-filled and the second 12 I forgot in the oven so they kind of exploded from the inside. The cake was amazing but I couldn't serve those so I made up some box mix for the cupcakes just before the party.  The banana cupcakes were so good though that one of my friends asked if she could take some of those home for later and I froze the rest and had them for snacks for me and the boys.  ©
I will try these again soon and figure out the best way to bake them, but here is the recipe for you. Seriously, SO good. In fact, they do not even need frosting, but I guess that might be an added bonus.
Banana Cupcakes:
2¾ cups all-purpose flour
1¼ teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup (4 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature
¼ cup vegetable shortening, at room temperature
1¾ cups granulated sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 eggs
1½ cups mashed very ripe bananas (about 4 bananas)
½ cup buttermilk
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Line two 12-cup cupcake pans with paper liners.
2. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together into a large bowl and set aside.
3. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and shortening together on medium speed until creamy, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the sugar and vanilla and beat on medium speed until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Scrape down the bowl, add the eggs, and beat until just combined. Scrape down the bowl again and add the bananas. Beat until just combined. Turn the mixer to low. Add the flour mixture, alternating with the buttermilk, in three additions, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Scrape down the bowl, then mix on low speed for a few more seconds.
4. Fill the cupcake liners about three-quarters full. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through the baking time, until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Transfer the pans to a wire rack and let cool for 20 minutes. Remove the cupcakes from the pans and place them on the rack to cool completely.

No comments: