For the past 4 years we have hosted a bbq between Sunday sessions every Conference weekend. This year we wanted to do the same thing, but in order to get everyone there that we hoped for we needed to hold it at a friends house. We brought our homemade cream corn - recipe courtesy of my Dad - and brought these Cookies + Cream [or Oreo] Cupcakes.
I tend to always try a new recipe when we have a get together with friends and I am always crossing my fingers that it turns out once people start eating. I must really like that nervous anticipation or living on the edge, or something.
Verdict... these were awesome. Of the 2 dozen we only brought a couple home and those quickly disappeared. I'm excited to make some of the other recipes from the blog where I found this - click on the link below the image to see more recipes but Make these and Enjoy!
Cookies and Cream Cupcakes
Yield: 24 cupcakes
For the cupcakes:
24 Oreo halves, with cream filling attached
2¼ cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
8 tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 2/3 cup sugar
3 large egg whites, at room temperature
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup milk
20 Oreo cookies, coarsely chopped (I quarter them)
For the frosting:
8 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
6 tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 tbsp. vanilla extract
4 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
2 tbsp. heavy cream
Oreo cookie crumbs
24 Oreo cookie halves
- Preheat the oven to 350˚ F. Line the wells of two cupcake pans with 24 paper liners. Place an Oreo halve in the bottom of each liner, cream side up.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt; stir together with a fork to blend and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the butter and sugar and beat together on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Blend in the egg whites one at a time, beating well after each addition. Blend in the vanilla extract. With the mixer on low speed, beat in half of the dry ingredients just until incorporated. Add the milk and beat just until combined, then mix in the remaining dry ingredients. Gently fold in the chopped Oreos with a rubber spatula until evenly incorporated, being careful not to over-mix.
- Evenly divide the batter between the prepared cupcake liners. Bake for 18-20 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through baking, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the pans 5-10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Frost the cooled cupcakes as desired. Sprinkle with Oreo crumbs and garnish with Oreo halves.