Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The weather up here has been amazing...

The weather up here has been amazing this past week! It is still in the low 30s over night but it has been warming up into the 70s in the heat of the day which is down right hot up here at this elevation. Bray, Aiden and I went to the beach area of the lake yesterday afternoon to meet up with some friends and let the kids soak up the last warm rays, splashing in the water and building sandcastles or volcanoes [huge hit with the little boys] before its gone for the winter.

We all had a great time but we did experience a first for B. I'm pretty sure I've mentioned it before but Braylon has a very deep sunken chest. It seems to get deeper and more pronounced as he has gotten older but it hasn't ever been an issue for him. For the first time one of the other boys poked him in the chest and asked what that was. All four of the boys Bray was playing with stopped and looked, Bray just looked down and didn't say anything. The little boy asked him again what it was and why it was like that. Before he could say anything another one of his friends yelled that it was his guts! I was sitting off away from them but heard and watched the whole situation. It was a little hard watching Braylon trying to figure it out, why they were saying he was different, and not knowing what to say. Conversation got switched back to digging, hauling water up from the lake to fill their hand dug canals, little boy fun.

Late in the evening we changed locations and met up with our husbands @ the Toll Station restaurant for dinner. We ran into another couple that we are friends with so we all got to hang out and enjoy a fun night out together with the chaos of all the kids.

When I was tucking him in bed last night I asked him about it. When I asked if he knew what they were asking about he pulled his shirt up and pointed to the deepest spot and got quite. I explained to him what it was, how it was different from the other guys but that it was just fine and when he gets older we'll find out more from a doctor if we need to change it. It seemed like he understood it all and that he had less stress knowing what it was and that he is just fine. I hope he can express himself better now in the future and not have to feel odd or different because of the unknown.

4 comments:

Kristen said...

That story made me really sad :( It just shows that our kids have to grow up someday. They won't always be protected by the innocence of childhood. I hate the thought of it. My Dad has a really really deep sunken chest, did you ever know that? I think he was always uncomfortable about it too, not too much, but a little. He always wore a shirt when he went swimming. But, the good news is that it's never affected his health. The thought of a doctor going in and trying to fix something like that makes me cringe. I think the scars of a surgery like that would look far worse than a sunken chest ever would! I don't think they look bad to start with, but for me, it is a normal look because I grew up with it.

{K J B} said...

Both our pediatrician in SLC and up here have talked about how his is very deep and that we will want consults as he grows up to make sure it isn't impeding on his heart or lungs. If it is bad they will want to go in, cut or break the sternum and raise it out and probably brace it with plates. It sounds horrible! Hopefully by the time we would be looking at doing that it can be done with a pin-hole incision and pain free! Here's hoping right?

Nichole said...

Good job Mommy!

Lacey McKay said...

I agree with Nichole, it sounds like you handled the situation perfectly. I don't remember ever reading anything on your blog about his chest before, but when we went to the lake, I noticed it the first time I helped him put his life jacket on. I meant to ask you about it when you got there, but I honestly didn't think about it again for the rest of the trip. Like Kristen said, you get used to it pretty quickly. I'm sure this won't be the first time he has to deal with friends poking fun, but maybe as he gets older, you can explain to him that his true friends are the ones who will ask about it, but who won't make fun of it.