Thursday, September 30, 2010

We teach Braylon about Santa and the Easter Bunny, so is it wrong of me to teach him about the "Clean Up Crew" that comes in after he goes to bed that boxes up any toys or art supplies that he has left out on the floor? I created, I mean, I told him about the Crew yesterday since I am so tired of having things everywhere and B's lack of desire to clean up his things.

Kyle recommended I use a clear bin so Braylon can see everything that was picked up by the Crew and is now off limits until he earns them back. It worked out great! The bin was placed on the table so Bray would see it when he woke up and. We talked about what that bin was, and looked through the top and sides at all of the different things that he had "missed" the night before. "Oh Man! They got my leapster!"


I explained to him that to get things back from the Crew he has to do good things like, keep his other toys picked up, eat all of his breakfast/lunch/dinner, put his dishes in the kitchen... basics. Immediately he sat down at the table with a pen and paper and said, "Okay, so, how do you spell the things I need to do?" He is such a list maker already. =)

I am loving the Clean Up Crew! It isn't my fault that the toys are picked up, he can't complain to me about it. He accepts that his things are boxed up because he left them out and were left for the Crew. And no 4 year old whining!

4 comments:

Lacey McKay said...

I think it's a great idea! You can tell him they are little elves or something, like the ones in the shoemaker story! I remember Aunt Vicki had a "gunny sack". I knew a sack would never really eat your toys and that it was their mom doing it, but there was just something about it that gave me chills. They showed it to me once, hidden at the back of their mom's closet and I remember being a little afraid. My kids are going to have nightmares about vacuum cleaners. All I have to say to Abbey is "I'm getting out the vacuum". She knows that whatever is left on the floor will get sucked up, and that's enough to make her clean up real quick. I've even sucked a few small toys on purpose to show her I mean business. This plan can backfire when the kid gets smart enough to put the toys up on the couch instead of actually putting them away. That's when you get out the hose!

Karissa said...

What a great idea! I'll definitely have to remember this when our kid gets old enough to leave his toys out. Amazing what kids will believe and do, huh? :-)

La Wrangler said...

That is such an awesome idea! I'm going to have to try this out, my living room has a constant 'toy carpet'... AND a new way to entice him to eat his food? A+!!

Jess said...

LOL. I love "the crew." I totally do the vacuum thing though... My kids think vacuums eat toys. Any ideas how can I convince them to clean up stuff other than toys? Like clothes & shoes & stuff? I don't think they'll care if "the crew" takes them...