Sunday, August 29, 2010

cake details: oh so good!


1.  braylon requested chocolate and vanilla so - milk chocolate and french vanilla box mix... 
because the best way to make a cake/cupcake special is to spend the time making your own filling and frosting and not rely on anything premade there. If you have more time and enjoy making the cake from scratch  - even better. 


2. the filling... Orange Cream Cheese Frosting

(Adapted from quirky cupcake)
12 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 cup butter (2 sticks) - I used 1 1/2 sticks instead, just because
2 teaspoons fresh orange juice - I probably used a cup of Simply Orange Juice and fresh squeezed orange & some orange zest to get the citrus flavor I wanted
8 cups powdered sugar - I only used about 4 C [because I ran out =)] but it was perfect

In a medium mixing bowl combine cream cheese, butter and orange juice. Beat on low to medium until light and fluffy. Gradually add 4 cups powdered sugar, beating well. Gradually beat in the remaining powdered sugar until frosting reaches spreading consistency.

3. mashmallow frosting...
this is an incredibly light/fluffy topping for any cake/cupcake that is slightly sweet and allows the cake and filling to be showcased. I'm not a fan of a thick ultra sweet frosting so this is a perfect solution. 
[from the Home Baker - love this cookbook!]

melt 6 ounces marshmallows with 1 tbs milk over low heat until melted [mini marshmallows are quicker] set aside to cool.

beat 2 egg whites until thick, mix in 2 tbs superfine sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. 

fold two mixtures together and let sit for ten minutes or so to allow for blending. Frost on a cooled cake.  


4. happy birthday B...
I love to use candy melt to create my own decor for cakes. Choose colors of choice, melt in a squeeze bottle, pull out some parchment paper and have fun. I use this to write out what I want the cake to say - it allows me to get things just how I want them without the fear of messing up the cake in the process. I've also used it to make other accents - anything you can think if. Wait for it to set, pop it in the fridge to hurry the already quick process, remove from parchment and decorate how ever you want.

No comments: