Monday, May 24, 2010

L & D - part I

From April 21st on I my new doctor was convinced that I could go into labor at any moment. I was contracting constantly, I was already dilated to a 4 at that point, 70% effaced - and I felt it! I would make my weekly appointments KNOWING that I wouldn't actually need the it since I would go into labor before that date came around.

May 7th I had another appointment and my doc said that I had some options since I wasn't going into labor on my own; I was dilated to at least a 5 and was over 80% effaced. Going for a vbac we had to approach everything very carefully but we decided that I would go in to have my water broken the following Monday, May 10th, if I didn't go into labor over the weekend.

My Mom and I spent the rest of the day walking and walking trying to get things started. By the end of the day I had regular contractions that were then accompanied with very strong cramping so we were hoping it was the real thing. It was late at night so my Mom got a hotel room right near the hospital. Around 3:45 am the contractions stopped... again...

Sunday night Kyle came down from McCall. At 7 am we checked in at St. Luke's and waited as patiently as possible to go back into my delivery room. A friendly nurse came and took us back and started the basics; temperature, blood pressure, paperwork and started to put in my heploc so that I would be ready in case I needed an IV later. Thats when things went bad. She had barely started when I felt like I was going to pass out. I said I don't feel good and the next thing I know I am waking up trying to remember some strange dream I had just had, seeing Kyle coming back INTO the room followed by nurses dressed in surgical gear. Things seemed hectic, the head of my bed was lowered way down trying to get blood flow back, I had an oxygen mask on, nurses were trying to find the baby's heart rate and when they did it had dropped down to 40. I was scared but calm at the same time. I needed to breath and get oxygen back to the baby and I NEEDED his heart rate to come back up as quickly as possibly. Fortunately the staff was amazing and very calm they didn't rush me back in for a c-section - although they would have if I didn't stabilize when I did. When things calmed back down enough my nurse told me that I had a seizure and that I needed to stay on oxygen until the baby was stabilized. She completed my IV, which I now had to be hooked up to, and we all waited to see if things would improve enough to keep going.

All before 8 am! What a way to start a morning!!!

My opinion was that @ least all the drama was taken care of already so that we were good to go for the rest of the delivery.

My doctor came, had them take me off oxygen since I seemed stable again, and broke my water. After a few hours he checked and I hadn't progressed at all. He gave me another hour to walk around to see some change before he would start a low dose of petocin. After a lot of walking the halls with my Mom I was checked again.... no change.


The max petocin level we would go to was 10 since we didn't want to risk scar rupture with a higher dose. The petocin definitely increased contractions and PAIN but after a couple more times of being checked I still had no progress in labor. My doctor told me that we had already reached the time allotment for laboring that had with no progress but he would fudge things and give me another hour and a half and hope that things changed in that time or we would be going in for a c-section for sure.

I have a really high tolerance for pain, but by that point I was reaching my maximum. I knew that I only had a short period of time left for a change to happen and that made me a little nervous but I tried not to stress about it. My main concern was about whether or not to get an epidural. On one hand I knew it could slow the progression of labor [which wasn't happening anyway] which would mean c-section - but at least if that happened I would have the epidural already if I had to get the operation; I also didn't know how getting an epidural would be since I passed out getting it with Braylon and caused me needing the c-section with his delivery, or it could go well, ease pain, and relax things enough for the labor to continue.

I had about 45 minutes before my doctor would come for that final check. I called for the anaesthesiologist and he came incredibly quickly. He was awesome. He let me lay on my side and had the whole thing completed within the span of 2 contractions and it wasn't long until I could feel the level of pain easing. I never felt totally numb and I could move just fine, but had no pain any longer. Shortly after it took effect my doctor came in to check and I had progressed FINALLY to an 8. About 30 minutes later he came back in and after a quick check told me it was time to push.

[part II will be short and sweet... but this turned out to be long, and I am tired and better get some rest before its time to feed my sweet angel again]

2 comments:

Nike said...

Julie,
Thank you so much for putting this up there and sharing what happened in the days and weeks surrounding Aiden's birth. I so wish I would have recorded this stuff while it was fresh. I'm so glad you are both okay ... keep posting.

Heidi said...

I'm a huge fan of epidurals!