Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Inspiration @ the Gym

Since I have been more of a regular at the gym I have come to recognize and become friends with a few other regulars that seem to have my same schedule. Last night I went a little bit earlier and was shocked, awed and inspired by a woman wearing black spandex shorts, a black and red tank and a flaming red bra as she got her workout on. She was the only person in the cardio room when I went in, and she continued to match my pace for my 30 minutes on the elliptical, and I pushed hard, its always easier for me when someone else is there going the same speed.

We finished at the same time and went to the weights area. She was listening to headphones and was bopping around the room, so energized. She proceeded to stretch on the floor and do a rather strange fast paced round of hip thrusts, swivels, swirls... and then after raising her hand to the ceiling in an elongated back stretch, she popped into the splits. I caught myself staring, but I also caught the other girl in the room stopped mid-lift with her jaw hanging.

Maybe that isn't a visual that is so out of place in a lot of gyms, but this woman was at least mid-60s and just rockin'. I want to be like that when I am her age, and I have no excuse in my mid-20s not to go at that pace or more and man, surely I can get that much enjoyment out of utilizing my body and pushing myself. I hope I get to see her there again.

No comments: