Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Thanksgiving Day Recipes



Super Cherry Salad

Ingredients:

3 oz red raspberry jello
1 1/2 cups boiling water
1 can cherry pie filling - 21 oz
3 oz lemon jello
1 1/2 cups boiling water
8 oz cream cheese
2 T miracle whip
8 oz undrained crushed pineapple
2 cups cool whip
1 cup mini marshmallows

Night before or much earlier:
Dissolve raspberry jello in 1 1/2 cups boiling water.
Add pie filling mix.
Pour into 9 x 13" pan. Let set.
Dissolve lemon jello in 1 1/2 cups boiling water. Let cool.

Next day:
Beat together cream cheese, Miracle Whip and pineapple.
Fold in Cool Whip and marshmallows.
Fold into lemon jello.
Pour over cherry layer.

Chill for a couple of hours

I got this recipe from Good Things Utah and it was really the best Jello salad that I have ever had. It made a huge bowl full and it was gone incredibly quickly.

Egg Nog Pie

Ingredients:

1 package of instant vanilla pudding

2 tsp unflavored gelatin

2 C egg nog

½ tsp rum extract (*I didn’t have it so I didn’t use it)

1 C whipping cream

9” baked pie shell

Combine pudding mix powder, gelatin and egg nog in a pot

Cook over low heat until thick

Remove from heat and *stir in rum extract* put in small bowl and chill

Whip cream until stiff (used hand mixer)

Beat the Egg Nog mixture until smooth (used hand mixer) and then fold in the whipped cream

Pour into baked pie shell (I used a graham cracker one and it was really good) and chill several hours

Garnish with whipped cream, nutmeg and shavings of chocolate.

I wish I would have taken a picture of the finished product, it looked as great as it tasted and it was beautiful.

Apple Cranberry Stuffing

Ingredients:

1 stick unsalted butter

1 ½ C diced celery

1 ½ C diced yellow onion

3 large green apples

1 tsp. ground nutmeg

½ tsp. salt

½ tsp. ground black pepper

1 Tbsp. sage

¼ tsp. cinnamon

¼ tsp. ground cloves

1 tsp. thyme

‘1 C pecans or walnuts, chopped

½ C dried cranberries

16 oz. bag of herbed stuffing bread (I prefer the larger chunks)

2 14 oz. cans vegetable broth

First: Melt butter in a very large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and celery. Sauté until onions just begin to turn translucent, about 7 to 8 minutes. Peel, core and dice apples (I leave the skins on).

Second: In a large bowl, combine onion mixture, apples, nutmeg, salt, pepper, sage, cloves, thyme and cinnamon. Stir in nuts and cranberries. Mix in stuffing bread. Add vegetable broth and stir until stuffing bread is evenly moistened. (I wait to add the nuts until later so that only half of the mixture will have them)

Third: Transfer stuffing into a large pyrex dish (or anything long and low) and bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes. Stir, serve immediately. (I never noticed the stir part before, oops).

I found this a couple of years ago on outofthefryingpan.com. This is the only stuffing that I have ever liked and even if I am just saying so myself, I think it is the best.



No comments: